Friday, September 23, 2005

A Sad Day

I received news that Phil Coleman died of cancer. He clicked Tyndall in Clan Lord, an online rpg I used to belong to before I started teaching. We were in the same clans and hung together on the times I played. My character had a special feeling for him, but that never amounted to any storyline. The character Tyndall was an elegantly dressed Sylvan, who could whack a critter like Armegeddon. He always had money and gave a hand out especially if it involved buying dyes to make clothing. Many of my minor characters benefitted from his largess. Sadraz loved to tease him something wicked. HWC was similarly kind and fun. I haven't played the game for nearly 5 years, but today reading Dandelion's e-mail brought back all the fond memories of the good times in Clan Lord. I am very sad that Phil is gone. In a way I was surprised how much his death touched me. I hadn't thought of the game very much except when I ran into former Clanners and we talked about why we don't play anymore. Despite the passage of years and the probability that I would never see the players again, I still feel connected to that world. Still, the game brought people from from all over the world together and we formed a tight knit community. I was glad I gotten to know Phil. I'm very sorry he is gone.

No comments: